Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Uncle Santa Claus

Once a year
From a very young age
I used to wait up hoping to meet a magical being
A man with a laugh as low and bellowing as earthquake rhapsodies
But as warm and inviting as hearth fires 
Come Christmas time, 
Boyhood wonder presided over logic and rationale 
And I’d sit in silence
In portable pews with 4 airbags and and a seat heater
While my home travelled 80 miles an hour 
But my destination held a bellowing laugh and warm faces
So I spent road trip sermons waiting to meet a red faced mr almighty
With a sack full of memories and lessons codified by lectures
And a smile as bright as the future he would say he saw in you
Every Christmas I drove hours to meet my own Santa clause clad father figure
His arms were so open you could fit your whole life’s story between the palms of his embrace
And felt the acceptance and understanding radiate from fingertips to soothe the flaws you saw in the reflection of his holiday cheer filled eyes
His gifts came in conversation as frequently as frills and ribbons
“If you always talk, you may not get to listen to the important things”
“It’s always crucial to know what you want from what you need”
“Never tell someone anything is forever, you never know when you won’t be able to take it back”
The last one is never truer than in this coming Christmas 
This Christmas my childhood won’t board the car
The road trip will be measured in miles passed instead of time until reunion
This Christmas
My Santa Claus has retired his robe
Put his pina colada elixir in the photo books rather than red solo cups
And the blu Ray player won’t spin like pendulum swings counting down hours until night becomes morning again
We all have to grow up sometime
And see the people behind the legends
I believed in Santa Claus until Christmas died in mid July 2018
At 21 years of age I was forced to confront the man behind the myths
I never saw him nursing each egg nog
Didn’t smell the spirits in his smile or liquor in his laughter
I was too drunk on childhood Christmas memories to see the flaws in his costume
My uncle was imperfect
He was broken and bound to late night bottles
But never stopped to ask for help
We never saw him slip from treading to drowning in the drinks he ordered
My uncle was Santa Claus

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, or at least be clever