Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Aunt Cathy

Dial tones sound like flatline prayers for a connection to this earth
Like an old rotary the numbers spun in circles around her
But always counted down
My aunt’s vocals came clear as day over the speaker my phone was linked to
They travelled like ghost wanderings from recorder to receiver
Her voice knew her future before her doctors did
Halfway out the door and 2 feet in the grave
My aunt is dying
But don’t mistake this fact for fear
She has never been scared
She never hesitated each time death left a voicemail promising a bright tomorrow for them
Ever since she was a kid, she used to prank call the future
Tied mr almighty’s shoes together
And put kick me signs on the reaper’s robes
My aunt has been jumping from flatlines to fault lines
Living in the eye of each storm and kicking up dust with mud slide renditions of chutes and ladders
My aunt is a natural born disaster
A born natural disaster.
She had dark clouds under her eyes, but electricity crackled in her smile each time she laughed
Let a select few watch raindrop tears streak lash lined windshields
She’s been carrying mass weight with her these last 4 years
Each step moved masses
And each step made masses
Until masses eventually made her
Cathy who is so far from cancerous her own friends and family would have undergone chemo to keep her from it
A long line of former classmates and coworkers who would sooner cannonball into her waterless grave than let her sleep there
Put her on such a pedestal that the casket will have to be 4 feet higher than others
A shallow grave for the deepest person I’ve ever known
The irony soaks into the soil turning raindrops metallic like full metal jacket music notes
Playing percussion on the memories I still have until the music is so loud they sound like thunder beats on drum skin.
My mother
Has spoken sermons to the sunshine filled yesterdays of her peace corps service
Has sworn the only thing she misses more than my sister and I when we leave were the local markets and the rains back in africa
But I bet she would happily trade lifetimes of cliched song lyrics for 5 more minutes of her
Donate decades off her own timeline for more erickson’s ice cream trips and cheerleader concussions
Cathy
Youre still sitting in mausoleums writing epitaphs on medical charts until your history is etched in stone cold steel hospital beds
Wringing your hands until your knuckles are as tough as your irish catholic upbringing
Clasp them tight as you remember sunday school prayers and recite them during each infusion
Utter hail mary’s as they try to cleanse your organs of the mutated sins you never volunteered for
Spend your sunday hours surrounded by god’s soon to be house guests
I never believed in him
But i always believed in you
So I’ll keep praying until they resonate like your future flatline
Like I’m trying to listen in on heaven
Rather than admit I’m losing it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, or at least be clever