Tuesday, August 14, 2018

I'm a straight up Narcissist

Rain drops like angel tears streak cracked windshield outlooks
I’ve never known the church
But I’ve met god
Found him at the bottom of each pen and pencil
Until his gospel spills like ink drawn Rorschach tests 
Making me question what I see in the world before me
I’ve never prayed
But I’ve spoken to slumbering giants and asked for favors in exchange for thorn removals and self sacrifice
My gods live around me
In written word and spoken tongue
Until the languages merge to music
I’ve never sung choir
But I’ve belted memories at the top of my lungs until silence wasn’t just requested
But required
I was born with the voice of a god I didn’t Believe in
Uttered snide comments that became sermons 
To the masses of friends I kept trying to be a part of
I spent Sunday mornings on couches and sleds 
While my friends practiced their recitations 
I’ve been told to do standup
Modern day ministry to the disenfranchised masses
Tell jokes in the forms of life lessons until they resonate to liberate more people than myself
I’ve always been loud
But never good at Public speaking 
Something about the responsibility of influencing others makes me recall bone chilling lies told in youthful ignorance 
Blood frozen into Icicle daggers memories until they impale the heart of a boy born with a voice to lead 
With a moral compass stuck due south
And a respect for resurrection innately lacking
I’ve been told since 6 years of age that my soul has travelled the world
It must be at least 50
The miles under my souls shoes match the flat feet that walk with them
Calloused with Corinthians and sweaty with psalms 
I’ve never been religious 
Never believed in another let alone myself
Flew by the seat of my pants and the balance in my bank account
Jesus was a man
But I’m a mcklegend
I don’t have a god complex
I’ve just sat through enough thunderstorms and monsoons to know angel tears streaming cracked windshield perspectives to realize 
My voice can cause them 
Even if I don’t believe 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, or at least be clever