Tuesday, August 14, 2018

For My Sister

She stood at stair tops hollering insults
And praised me when I did her bidding 
I grew up a flying monkey
To my sisters wicked witch
A lackey
A minion 
A boy born to follow
But lately she passed me her shoes to step in
So I could walk a mile in my future
As a child, 
My sister seemed so scary her skin may as well have been as green as Fenway legends
I used to think I was Dorothy
The good to her bad
The kind to her cold
Then I was the tin man
Fully loving but never understanding
As my brain fell behind her academic integrity
She was smarter
She was clever
So I must be the lion 
Knowledgeable enough to see the problems
But too scared to confront them
Or the scarecrow 
Heartless and empty
I knew what she did
What she went through
And never moved or managed to speak
But finally I realized my role as a henchman 
To the most misunderstood master the world has ever seen
My sister
Wore skin as green as the grasses she grew up in
With lemon tree memories taped to the forefront of her mind
And Boston snow packed insults in the wake of her wit
My sister is elpheba
Because it took me 15 years to see her as person rather than a role
She began adopting animals at a young age
I thought she liked control
But she preferred to give each soul a home
Found her memories of lonely nights 
Despite being surrounded by friends in the childhood basement turned cauldron bubbles
My sister
Is the one who doesn’t discriminate from the people before her
Even Dorothy and Glenda were judgemental
But my sister was blind
Only saw right and wrong
No matter the ramifications
I began working for her the moment I saw the confidence in her cause start to waver
She’s been labeled a villain
Sometimes a monster
By a boy too wrapped up in his own narrative to realize the witch who raised him was the girl down the hall
Not the woman in the basement
My mother taught me to make a new path
But my sister taught me to own my choices 
So I sided with her against the world
She resides in a far off place
Full of problem an strife
But she talks about home like an emerald city
So I do her bidding
Hoping one day I’ll reach the point where I can atone for the years I participated in the campaigns she saw through
Flying above the bullshit she recognized at a young age
My sister gave me my wings
So I could learn from her falls
I only wish I had seen the girl behind the grandiose villain
I had created in my mind
I am a flying monkey
And I’ve never been prouder of the shoes I fill when she’s gone
Not ruby slippers
But toms with her name etched in the side 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, or at least be clever