Thursday, June 2, 2011

universal remote

Universal: of or pertaining to the universe, all nature, or all existing things: universal cause.
I wish I had a universal remote
Then I could rewind to my childhood
To innocence and freedom
To sunny days with sidewalk chalk on the asphalt in the summer
To not caring about anything but right here and now
Where I was always surrounded by friends and peer pressure was a myth in movies
Not a fact in life
Back then I was oblivious
Oblivious to the never ending pain and turmoil
Completely pure in heart and in mind.
Not understanding that others suffer while I play carelessly
Even though I grew up in Africa where the homeless begged for cash or food
Instead of seeing the tortured souls on the street
I saw the deep blue sky.
I saw the friends of a different color.
No troubling thoughts entered my mind at that age.
I would then pause and stay there forever
Be completely oblivious to death and sadness.
But by age 8 we already start to use the word hate more than love
We start thinking only of the bad and not the good.
Racist comments arise like the heat of boiling water just because it is taught to do so
Because it has no other choice
We were brainwashed at ten to focus only on the opposite gender
Each other boy or friend
Was simply another contender
In the race for love, affection, and to grow up quickly
If I could I would definitely tell myself to slow down and enjoy it.
But enough with the past.
On to the future
Where I could skip the hard work of my school
And forget about the world
Only focusing on my endless job
Day in day out
The same thing
But then I hear something
A fight down the hall
2 co-workers arguing
And I flash back to the present wishing I could go back
Because when you grow up
Nothing changes
The only difference is you have stopped caring instead of not knowing
But at this moment I wish I could be anywhere but here.
However something must be wrong
Because I hit the buttons on this remote yet nothing happens
I start slamming the scene selection
But nothing is working
It must be out of batteries
As I scream to the heavens
PLEASE get me out of here
Anywhere but here.
Then I realize
I am a coward
Instead of embracing the present I am wishing for anything but
And only a true strong soul cares all the time and enjoys their entire life
I hope I meet this person someday.
I would ask him one simple question
Do you know where I can buy a new universal remote?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, or at least be clever