Thursday, June 2, 2011

tuck me in again

Tuck me in again
Tell me everything is going to be alright
And find a way to sprinkle everything you say with love and a pinch of sugar
Now you have met my mother
See she was my captain America
And her shield gave me strength
But eventually I stopped needing it
And I understand I always pull on her heartstrings when I talk about the future
But when she talks I can taste my past
I taste sugar
And I remember those times when Sunday afternoons were for us
Because after-school programs began at noon and PBS broadcasts were the coolest ever.
Arthur always Entranced my imagination
And sesame street taught me that all monsters don't have to be bad
See you always made life magic
And with a flick of your wand you got our attention
And you deserved it
you left your career for us
Put your writing on hold
You created writers block just for us
And you baked sincerity into very aspect of yourself
Taught me to be a man while the boy got to travel in my imagination
See I always got on that plane with my dad
But eventually I started waking up from daydreamed memories
And as we know reality hits hard
So you lent me your shield
And I will never forget when you stood up for us against an overgrown bully
See Kempo karate taught me that adults could be asses too
But you taught me how to make a donkey stable and cage them in my mind
About now is when life whispered lies
It told me that summer breezes were just my sister laughing at me without a sound
And I went to war against an undeserving enemy
On neutral territory
Yet you were always Switzerland
So I started to attack for a reaction
I called it pre-emptive
I think you called it 13
And with each reprimand you still made me realize that both sides are just close minded
After awhile I lost contact with you
I exchange conversations but don't actually speak or listen
I just hide behind the shield I never returned
So tuck me in again
And tell me everything is gonna be alright
So that maybe I can taste that sugary childhood sweetness another time

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, or at least be clever