Thursday, June 2, 2011

new orleans love

I don’t belong here
I don’t belong in a suburb in Chapel Hill
I belong in my birthplace
I want to taste sweet crawfish and let shrimp swim through my mind not moving vans
I want to re-visit old locations and remember aquariums
I want to go back to my Marti grad roots
But my New Orleans is broken
And memories leak like the faucets from my eyes as I look at the destruction patterns
It still leaves its mark to this day
And 6 years later Katrina leaves acid marks on my heart
That bitch broke my home and I wasn’t even there
See I want to go back so I can remember
And I stand on the edge of sanity
Because in 2005 I saw my birthplace die
And decided to change the channel
Because I could not comprehend so I decided to pretend
That I was devastated
But in reality I was just living in a house in Massachusetts
And friends felt bad for me but I replied carelessly
Why
Why would you expect me to care for a land that I lost connection to
Before I had time to ask its name
It whispered sweet warning to leave
So we did
We left
And we moved to a new state
I will always hate the decision I made
And the skeletons peer out of my closet occasionally
Because they are crowded in there
See I didn’t let anyone know
But when I began to remember my homeland
I took the burden of the lives lost
And thousands live in my closet
I open the door occasionally.
I look at souls that made no mistakes just had bad timing
And I begin to shed a tear for my homeland
Where I wish I could say I was there to help

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, or at least be clever