Sunday, July 7, 2013

school poem. video of me doing this coming soon

A
B
C
D
F
i don’t remember much from my childhood
but i still get an itching that i am missing a letter
it’s on the tip of my tongue...
but it doesn’t matter. these 5 letters define my character
A-Above proficient levels. fully grasps material.
B-Barely has trouble understanding the class.
C- Can do better. Average at best.
D-DUNCE! One step up from 1st grade vocabulary and 3rd grade understanding.
F- Failure. Try again next time. Go directly to jail. no re-do’s
My circle of life is limited to the 3 hole punches in my papers
I am sorry officer, but i can’t seem to find my registration
I guess i voided my return policy
i am just an appliance to you
they blocked some websites on my school computers. It screams:
“We can’t let you know there is an outside world
We can’t let you know life isn’t decided by that paper you didn’t spend the obligatory 5 hours on”
I broke the status quo and left the scatter plot of normal data as i refuse to be average anymore.
I want to be Excellent
I want to Ecstatic
I want to remember what comes after D but before F
i donate my life to the PTSA
may they use it well,
or throw one hell of a faculty party
I wish to state my intentions.
i am here to defy stereotypes
i want to exceed expectations and fulfill horror stories
I want to be different
I will raise my hand to ask questions
like “dear mr teacher:
Do you think if you cut my heart in half the biopsy would be as shiny as the apple on your desk
are my lungs meant for breathing or simply as a use for chokeholding me when needed
Do my eyes show the the same text from the books i read every night
copy them from paper to pupils to test”
i am just a pupil
a speck of dust collected on your diploma
as if it was a trophy that you survived where i am now, and have come back to make mine worse
sharpen pencils and call them number 2 to inspire competition
i remember the day that you let slip
that you didn’t know everything
i held onto it
hoping to one day best you so that i could....end up right where you are now.
“Mr teacher,”
I shake nervously
“what comes after the letter D again? I can’t seem to remember”
He replies “F of course”
And then i say. “No. before F. After D it Evades me.”
he is about to choke as if
trying to regurgitate guidelines
Do not let children know that there is more to life than grades.
The bell rings. I go to the library and take out the alphabet book...
It has 5 pages.
A-is for amazing
B-is for better
C-is for crestfallen
D-is for dumb
F-is for flunking. you never want to get an F.
I jolted forward and scream
E
E is for everything
E is for effort
I run to the main hall. and write E on every surface until the school officer asks “why”?
I smile wide and clever and say
“no. this is an E.”
...
he doesn’t laugh.
When asked what E stands for i answered Escape
E is an opportunity to leave.
but i promised i would defy expectations
so when i graduate. I will write F on my diploma which stands for FUCK THIS
and when my children are born i will teach them that F is just a letter
but E is a state of mind

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, or at least be clever