Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Prometheus-OLD

Prometheus was a Titan
Who stole fire from gods 
And gave it to humanity
It's said that his fire lives on in each ember and spark 
But for his crimes, his punishment was to lose his liver each day so that it could grow back each night 
I'm sure you're not here for a history lesson
But I've begun to feel like Prometheus 
With each struggle I face, the resemblance gets uncanny
I stole fire 
Despite being told not to
When everyone warned me how hot a flame can be, 
I didn't care
I didn't care about the heat in your presence,
Just the coldness I felt after you left.
So I tried to steal some fire from you
Tried to force an ounce of your warmth into my life so that I could share it with the people around me
Like Prometheus,
My intentions were good, but the execution left a bit to be desired
I wish I had listened when you warned me that infernos can look like candle flames from a distance
"Don't get too close" you cautioned
But I thought that just maybe I could be the one to help bring down your forest fire 
I hoped you would let me build temples to the light you shine, and fire rings to help you contain it
But I should have listened to history whispering caution in my ear
You see the gods didn't trust humanity with fire
And you didn't trust me to help yours or rather
You Didn't want me to
You see, There is pride in wildfire
A beautiful chaos to be admired
....from a distance
But I still stole an ember from your strength in the hope it would heat up a frozen heart
Managed to pass the warmth off as my own and share it with those around me
But I can now sympathize with the punishment in this process.
Because every night I let my heart grow back, and everyday you take it 
Or rather,
I give it to you
Treating it like a sacrifice 
I've been paying tribute to your memory with every part of my being
Promising a change or hope for one more chance to share your fire with the world
But these burns are turning to scar tissue 
The nerve endings died in your presence
I wonder if Prometheus ever felt numb too
I've tried moving on
But each time I manage to light my own candle
You've taken to blowing it out and offering to help fix it
I can't be dependent on your flame anymore
Can't let the smell of smoky memories pull me in
I'm sick of giving you my heart to stop feeling cold
Because the difference between numb and warm is only a few letters, but a lifetime of happiness
I'm not a firefighter,
Or a Titan
Or anyone really
I'm just someone covered in 3rd degree trust issue because I fell in love with one too many fires that didn't reciprocate.
Everyone says that one day I'll find the next one,
The flame that will fit in my home and never leave scorch marks on my memories
But I don't think Prometheus ever touched another fire in his life,
So could you blame me if I did the same?
Because with all this nerve damage,
I'm not sure I could even feel heat anymore
It's my fault
She told me not to get too attached
The only thing an ember can love is the free oxygen around it
I'm not angry
Or bitter
Or even sad.
But I want to warn you about wildfires
They are beautiful
They are strong
They are incredibly powerful
But most importantly, they are to be respected from a distance
No matter how much the flames beckon
Because I may have stolen fire from her,
But she stole my peace of mind,
And I'm still waiting for night time
So that it regrows for tomorrow  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, or at least be clever